Getting a tattoo is a big decision and taking care of it properly is crucial for ensuring its longevity and vibrancy. With the right aftercare routine, you can keep your tattoo looking great for years to come. This guide will cover everything you need to know about tattoo aftercare, including what to do in the days immediately after getting a tattoo, how to keep your tattoo moisturized, and how to avoid common aftercare mistakes.
The Healing Process
The healing process for a tattoo typically lasts anywhere from two to four weeks. During this time, it is important to keep the tattoo clean and moisturized to prevent infection and promote healing. Here are the steps you should follow in the days immediately after getting a tattoo:
- Remove the bandage. The bandage should be removed after 24 hours, or as directed by your tattoo artist.
- Wash your tattoo. Use warm water and a mild antibacterial, fragrance-free soap to gently wash the tattoo. Avoid using a washcloth or scrubber, as this can damage the tattoo.
- Apply a thin layer of tattoo aftercare balm.
- Repeat this process. Wash and reapply the ointment two to three times per day until the tattoo has fully healed.
Moisturizing Your Tattoo
It is important to keep your tattoo moisturized to prevent itching and flaking. Here are some tips for keeping your tattoo moisturized:
- Use a balm type aftercare such as Toochi Never Fear Aftercare with natural ingredients as it is soothing and calming for the newly inked skin. Petroleum jelly should be avoided, as it can clog the pores and trap bacteria.
- Avoid lotions. Lotions contain alcohol and fragrances, which can irritate the tattoo and slow down the healing process.
- Apply balm regularly. Apply a thin layer of ointment two to three times per day until the tattoo has fully healed.
Avoiding Common Aftercare Mistakes
There are several mistakes that people make when it comes to tattoo aftercare. Here are some of the most common mistakes and how to avoid them:
- Scratching the tattoo. Itching is a normal part of the healing process, but scratching can damage the tattoo and increase the risk of infection. To relieve itching, gently rub the tattoo with a cool, damp cloth.
- Exposing the tattoo to the sun. Sun exposure can cause fading and discoloration of the tattoo. Be sure to protect your tattoo from the sun by wearing loose, protective clothing and applying a high-SPF sunblock.
- Soaking the tattoo. Soaking the tattoo, such as in a bath or swimming pool, can introduce bacteria into the tattoo and slow down the healing process. Avoid soaking your tattoo for at least two weeks, or until it has fully healed.
By following these aftercare tips, you can keep your tattoo looking great for years to come. With the right care, your tattoo can be a source of pride and self-expression for a lifetime.
The healing process for a tattoo typically lasts two to four weeks. During this time, it is important to keep the tattoo clean and moisturized to prevent infection and promote healing. A balm type aftercare like Toochi Aftercare is the best choice for moisturizing a tattoo. It is important to avoid exposing the tattoo to the sun and soaking it, as these can cause fading and discolour.