Tattoos are a form of self-expression and art, but the process of getting one can be quite painful. That's why numbing cream for tattoos has become a popular solution to reduce pain during the tattooing process. However, with the many products available on the market, it can be overwhelming to choose the right one. In this article, we'll take a look at the dos and don'ts of using numbing cream for tattoos, to ensure you have a comfortable and enjoyable tattooing experience.
What is Numbing Cream for Tattoos?
Numbing cream for tattoos, also known as tattoo numbing cream or lidocaine cream, is a topical cream that is applied to the skin to reduce pain and discomfort during tattooing. The active ingredient in most numbing creams is lidocaine, a local anesthetic that temporarily numbs the skin.
How Does Numbing Cream for Tattoos Work?
When applied to the skin, the lidocaine in the cream blocks the nerve signals that transmit pain to the brain. This makes the tattooing process less painful and more comfortable for the person getting the tattoo. It's important to note, however, that the numbing effect is only temporary and will wear off after a certain period of time.
Dos of Using Numbing Cream for Tattoos
- Always follow the instructions on the product label.
- Apply the cream at least 90 minutes before the tattooing process begins.
- Clean the area of the skin where the tattoo will be placed before applying the cream with an antibacterial soap, and antiseptic when possible.
- Use a thick layer of numbing cream to the whole area being tattooed, and even further when possible.
- Apply cling wrap to the area to keep the cream moist, activated and warm. Dried out cream will not work.
Don'ts of Using Numbing Cream for Tattoos
- Don't use numbing cream on open wounds or irritated skin.
- Don't use numbing cream if you are allergic to lidocaine or other ingredients in the cream.
- Don't use numbing cream if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Don't re apply numbing cream in one tattoo session to already tattooed / worked skin, it is intended for intact skin only.
- Don't get cream into eyes, mouth or other sensitive areas.
Tattoo numbing cream can be an effective solution for reducing pain during the tattooing process. However, it's important to use it properly and follow the instructions on the product label. By following the dos and don'ts outlined in this article, you can ensure a comfortable and successful tattooing experience.